Visiting Scholars Program
The Asia-Pacific Law Institute (APLI) welcomes applicants who wish to conduct research in the APLI Visitor Program. This program provides visitors with the opportunity to carry out their comparative study with a view to broadening the horizon of knowledge in their respective research areas or projects. Therefore, this program is intended for visitors with a clearly defined agenda that conforms to the goals of our institute (please see http://aplaw.snu.ac.kr/page/purpose.php).
2. WHO CAN APPLY?
There are two trajectories in the APLI Visitor Program, i.e., we offer the titles of Visiting Scholar and (Senior) Visiting Researcher.
(1) When applying for the title of Visiting Scholar, he or she must be currently attached to a university (or a college) as a full-time academic (i.e., an assist./assoc./full Prof. or a lecturer) or to a research institute as a full-time researcher.
(2) When applying for the title of (Senior) Visiting Researcher, he or she must currently work as a public or civil servant, a judge, a prosecutor, or a lawyer. Application of this title is also open to Ph.D degree holders intending to pursue post-doctoral research and Ph.D. candidates who plan to conduct fieldwork in the Republic of Korea.
3. WHAT TO SUBMIT?
The following documents are required for application:
(1) A Curriculum Vitae;
(2) A reference from one of the members of SNU Law Faculty; and
(3) A statement of your purpose of visit and/or research outline.
* Please send these documents to email@example.com if application is made via email, or to the following address if application is made by post.
1 Gwanak-ro, Gwanak-gu, Seoul National University, School of Law,
Asian-Pacific Law Institute, Seoul, Republic of Korea, 08826.
4. WHEN TO APPLY?
We accept applications two times a year before the beginning of each semester. There are two semesters: The first semester (i.e., the spring semester) begins on 2nd March and the second (i.e., the fall semester) on 1st September.
(1) Applicants wishing to visit in the spring semester have to apply by submitting the aforementioned documents between the 1st January and the 31th January.
(2) Applicants wishing to visit in the fall semester have to apply by submitting the aforementioned documents between the 1st July and the 31th July.
5. FOR HOW LONG?
Visitors are in principle required to stay for at least four weeks. Other than that, the period can be flexible and can be determined by mutual consultation. However, the duration of the visit cannot exceed one year.
6. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AFTER ADMISSION
(1) Applicants accepted as Visiting Scholar have to submit a copy of proof of employment.
(2) Applicants accepted as (Senior) Visiting Researcher have to submit a copy of proof of employment (for government officials, judges, prosecutors, and lawyers), a copy of degree certificate (for Ph.D holders), or a copy of proof of enrollment (for Ph.D. candidates).
7. REQUIREMENTS DURING THE VISIT
All visitors are required:
(1) to attend seminars, talks and activities held by the Institute; and
(2) to make a presentation during the visit on each visitor’s own research area.
8. SUPPORT AND RESOURCES
All visitors will receive a University ID card and an email address. They are eligible to make use of the University’s research facilities, libraries and will have full access to electronic holdings, databases and journals. Furthermore, APLI will provide each visitor with an individual desk in a shared office. However, APLI does not offer visitors any salary, financial support or other payments.
Visitors are responsible for their own travel, accommodation and maintenance costs. For those interested in staying in the SNU students accommodation, please let us know. We will then forward your request to the University housing office. University housing cannot be guaranteed, however.
All visitors must ensure that they have a visa appropriate for the purpose of their visit. Please contact the Embassy and Consulate of the Republic of Korea in their individual countries.
* Please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any further inquiries.